Friday, April 10, 2015

My Teaching Perspectives Inventory (TPI)

I took the teaching perspective inventory (TPI) and discoved my unique perspectives on teaching.(http://www.teachingperspectives.com/)

Knowing your perspective helps you understand yourself as a teacher, and the teachers with whom you work. It can clarify why you value certain teaching traits and behaviors and not others. The inventory has been taken by thousands of teachers in at least five countries. It was created by Pratt and Collins, two professors at the University of British Columbia, who continue to collect data and improve knowledge of the beliefs and values underlying why teachers do what they do. I think you will find your results fascinating, enlightening, and helpful.

Graphics from http://www.quotessays.com/
My profile is somewhat flat with small standard deviations. My dominant perspective is nurturing, while I have one perspective total Social Reform that is marked as recessive. Both results make sense to me.Teaching in a smaller class setting, I have more opportunities to know every student and offer help on a 1-on-1 basis. I enjoy listening to their needs and help them solve problems. When it comes to hands-on practice (which is most part of my teaching, I always encourage and help students develop basic skills. Most of my students are in their 18 -19s, I care for their motivations, learning and also emotions too in a teaching/learning process. I am also aware of the recessive perspective social reform. Perhaps when I teach basic science subjects, the social impact and self-awareness haven't been related much to my teaching content (however it definitely can be in the future).

No comments:

Post a Comment