Saturday, March 21, 2015

Reflection on Teaching Styles


Graphic Source: https://natashakenny.files.wordpress.com/)

 

My Teaching

I still see myself as a novice teacher who is still developing my own teaching approach, constantly reflecting on daily practice, and improve instructional skills.
I started teaching from 2009, working as a teaching assistant at UBC, where I taught first and second year chemistry courses. In 2013, I relocated to Illinois and have being teaching chemistry and physics lab courses at University of Illinois at Springfield since then. Most of my students are in their 20’s with some of them in their 30’s who return to school to complete the degree.
Because of the nature of the lab courses, students usually watch videos, and preview the instruction materials, and take a pre-lab quiz before walking into the lab. In the lab, I start by a 10-15 minutes lecture where I pinpoint where students need to pay attention to, and have some class discussions too. Then students work in groups of 2-3, and practice hands-on-skills. I always walk around in the lab and answer questions. The weekly assessment is the lab report in which students develop scientific writing skills, and demonstrate their understanding of concepts by answering particular questions. It is student-centered however, with a considerable amount of guidance from the teacher. My goal is to help my students become more self-directed, apply what they’ve learned before, research on resources, and work towards solving the actual problem (for higher level courses). My feedback to them also includes a descriptive comment of their actual work, also comment of their learning strategies.

Reflection

When I read the word “professional practice”, the first image that came to my mind is a highly experienced teacher standing in the middle of the classroom, surrounded by students, who confidently and resourcefully deliver a lesson. Also this teacher is responsive to questions that students raise, and always come up with the right approach to lead students towards being a self-directed, and self-motivated learner. Frequent, deep and comprehensive reflective thinking is also part of the professional practice. Besides these, professional teaching practice also means a solid understanding of ethical principles, codes of conduct, and professional behavior in and out of the classroom. A sustainable professional practice and training also includes development of a personal career plan that leads to where best suits personal interest and where one bring in higher impact to global educational system.

No comments:

Post a Comment